The Special Political and Decolonisation Committee is among the General Assembly committees. It primarily focuses on political disputes and less serious conflicts, however, it can also tackle issues otherwise reserved for the Security Council. It can also act, as it is the case on this year's GOMUN, as a forum for parties to an international treaty to resolve their misunderstandings outside of the General Assembly and yet within the United Nations.

TOPIC 1: Resolving the question of the political status of Nagorno-Karabakh

Nagorno-Karabakh is a landlocked region in the South Caucasus. Nagorno-Karabakh is a disputed territory, internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, but most of it is governed by the unrecognised Republic of Artsakh since the first Nagorno-Karabakh War. Since the end of the war in 1994, the governments of Armenia and Azerbaijan have been holding peace talks on the region’s disputed status. In September 2020, the conflict reignited. Both the armed forces of Azerbaijan and Armenia reported military and civilian casualties. For Azerbaijan, the war turned out very well, regaining most of the occupied territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh and large parts of Nagorno-Karabakh.  The war ended less than a month after it erupted, when a trilateral ceasefire agreement was signed between Azerbaijan, Armenia and Russia. Armenia was forced to return all the remaining occupied territories surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh. But there are still seperatist groups calling for Nagorno-Karabakh to be autonomous or under Armenian control. This conflict needs to finally be solved, before another war erupts.

TOPIC 2: Addressing the territorial dispute over Western Sahara

Western Sahara is a disputed territory on the northwest coast and in the Maghreb region of North and West Africa. About 20% of the territory is controlled by the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, while the remaining 80% of the territory is controlled by Morocco. Western Sahara is one of the most sparsely populated regions in the world. In 1963, Western Sahara was proclaimed as United Nations non-self-governing territory. In 1975, Spain fully withdrew from this territory, giving the power over Western Sahara to Mauritania and Morocco. Morocco emerged victorious. Since then the region has been administered by the Moroccan government, with support especially from France and USA. Algeria has been one of the main supporters of Western Sahara’s autonomy. The dispute for this region has gone on for too long and needs to be resolved to ensure safety in the region.

 
COUNTRY MATRIX: 

Beginner: Republic of Lebanon, Syrian Arab Republic, Republic of India, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Uzbekistan, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Hashemite Kongdom of Jordan, Portuguese Republic

Intermediate: Greece, State of Israel, Turkey, People’s Republic of China, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Kingdom of Spain, Islamic Republic of Mauritania, Algeria, Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Advanced: Russian Federation, French Republic, United States of America, Republic of Armenia, Azerbaijani Republic, Kingdom of Morocco, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (observer)

List of available countries here